Every witch needs her own cauldron. Here’s how to make your own paper mache little witch’s cauldron for Halloween.
- Paste (we used white PVA glue and water)
- Black paint and brush
We plaited black raffia for the handle. It makes a sturdy handle which keeps a good shape. However you could also plait strips of black plastic rubbish bag, staple on a cardboard handle or just use string.
We used diluted white PVA glue (mix of half glue, half water) for the paste. Check out Ultimate Paper Mache website for a flour and water paste recipe. You could also use wallpaper paste.
How to Make Your Own Witch’s Cauldron
- Blow up a balloon. This will make a cauldron the same size and shape as the balloon.
- Tear up newspaper into small pieces.
- Dip the newspaper pieces into the paste and cover the bottom half of the balloon to make a deep bowl shape.
- Keep adding more layers (at least three layers).
- Allow to dry for a few hours then pop the balloon to leave a deep paper bowl.
- Add some more newspaper and paste layers over the rim of the cauldron to give a neat edge which is also sturdy.
- Add any more layers to areas of the cauldron that feel thin.
- Allow to dry then cover inside and out with black acrylic paint.
- When dry, carefully poke a hole in each side of the cauldron (about an inch down from the top edge) using a skewer.
- Cut six strands of black raffia about 50cm long each. Make three sets of double strands and then plait into a single rope.
- Twist the ends of the rope well and push into the two holes in the cauldron from the outside inwards to make a handle. Tie a knot at each end inside the cauldron.
- Varnish your cauldron if you want it to have a shiny finish.
Your paper mache cauldron is now ready to use. Happy spell making or trick-or-treating!