How on earth do you find someone and start dating again when you’ve split up with your ex and you’re a single parent?
Getting back out into the dating scene can feel incredibly daunting especially if you’d been with your partner for a long time. Being a single parent also adds in lots of complexity that you didn’t have to consider before. So where do you start? Here are some dating tips to help you on the way.
Before you even start dating, take some time to focus on you. So much time and energy is spent looking after kids and quite rightly they’re the centre of your life. However, it’s important to look after yourself too. As a wise woman once said to me, “you can’t pour from an empty jug”. Here’s a few ideas to boost to boost your confidence.
- Positive afirmations are a great starting point. Repeating positive sentences regularly might seem a funny thing to do but it can really help. Think about what will help you. I’m a great Mum, I’m confident, I know what I want from life. Whatever works best for you.
- Spend time with people who support you and make you feel good about yourself. Try and avoid the people who sap your confidence and lower your self-esteem. They suck up so much energy.
- Saying no is can be difficult but we can’t do it all. Take control of your life and say yes to opportunities and no to the things you’d really rather avoid.
- Treat yourself, this could be having a friend babysit for you so you can have your haircut or book in a massage or even just get outside for a walk on your own.
- Exercise is great for mental well being. It’s not always easy to find time to exercise when you have kids but think about what you can incorporate into your life. It could be an exercise video from You Tube or a buggyfit class.
So you’re feeling good about yourself and you’re ready to meet someone new. Once you have children it can feel impossible to get back into the dating scene. Time is precious and the dating scene has probably changed a lot, especially if lots of your friends are in relationships already and you don’t have a wing man/woman.
There are lots of benefits to online dating when you’re a single Mum or Dad.
- It’s an easy way to get started and you don’t need to rush into anything. You can set up your profile sat on your sofa in your comfy PJs.
- You can meet new people who aren’t part of your friendship group or their friends.
- You can be picky, decide what’s important to you and who’re you looking for.
- You’re more likely to find a compatible match with online dating.
- You can avoid that nerve wracking moment of deciding whether to approach someone and chat them them up. All your potential dates are looking to find someone too.
We Love Dates
There are so many online dating websites, how do you choose which one to go for? We Love Dates is a free dating site who aim to “help you to find love and support you through every step of your online dating journey”.
They have specialist dating sites so they can find you the perfect match. Their dating sites cover.
- Single Parent Dating
- Over 50s Dating
- Divorced Dating
- Christian Dating
- Black Dating
We Love Dates also has a range of niche dating sites from millionaire dating to uniform dating.
Top Tips for a First Online Date
- Tell a friend where you’re going and at what time then check in with them when your date has finished.
- Choose a location where you’ll be relaxed. A coffee date is usually a popular first choice as it doesn’t need to last too long but the focus will all be on the conversation. Why not try something with an activity like bowling or crazy golf.
- Be open minded, your date is probably as nervous as you so relax, don’t judge too quickly and enjoy yourself.
- Be open and honest. If the date goes well, you want it to be because they like the real you. However, you don’t need to unload your whole life story and try and avoid talking about why you split up with your ex. Keep it light and fun.
- Ask questions and don’t just talk about yourself. You’ll find out about your date and everyone likes to be listened too.
So what are you waiting for? Go for it and have fun. I hope you find love.