Here’s how to make a gruesome ‘severed’ hand for Halloween from plaster of Paris. It’s a great accessory for a Halloween costume and looks awesome in the middle of a treat bowl for trick or treaters at a Halloween party.
You will need:
- Plaster of Paris powder and disposable container to mix it.
- Rubber glove
- Thick cardboard tube (wide enough to fit the hand inside)
- Red paint
How to make the Halloween hand:
- Feed the rubber glove into the cardboard tube and bend the arm opening of the rubber glove back over the lid of the tube. Fix with tape or bulldog clips if needed.
- Mix the plaster of Paris with water in the disposable container according to the instructions on the pack. We used 2 parts plaster to 1 part water.
- Pour the plaster of Paris mix carefully into the rubber glove. Tap gently to release any bubbles.
- Leave for at least 48 hours or until set.
- Carefully peel the rubber back from the tube and lift out the hard glove.
- Cut the glove away from the plaster of Paris hand.
- Allow to dry out fully for another 24 hours. When dry, dip the ‘wrist’ of the hand into red paint and allow some paint drips to flow down from the ‘wrist’. You could also wrap the ‘wrist’ with bandages smeared with red paint.